First off, I am still going strong with this and overall, I have found it to be an really positive change. Here are some of the observations I have made from cutting down on Facebook (the good and the bad).
- I only feel a need to go on Facebook about once a week and sometimes once every other week-Before, I would waste so much time on Facebook throughout the day. I feel like I have more free time to do the things I really want to do.
- Whenever I do go on Facebook, I find that the world has not passed me by-Before making the goal to cut down on Facebook, I was worried I was going to miss out on important events in my friends' lives. I have found that I can still keep up with people by going on Facebook less and trying more to give personal phone calls or visits to see how they are doing.
- I sometimes fill my time going to other social media or time wasting Websites. This is something I have to watch out for.
- I have strengthened relationships by hanging out in person more rather than interacting over Facebook-Since I'm not interacting with friends over Facebook on a regular basis, I find myself wanting to hang out with people in person more often. I now make a better effort to schedule girls nights or play dates so I can hang out with my friends.
- I've lost some friends because I don't interact with them on Facebook all the time-Well, I don't want to say lost, as in they are gone forever, but we just don't talk anymore.
- I don't compare myself to others as much as I did before-Although I still have issues with comparing myself to other women, it isn't as bad as it was before. There were so many times where I would go on Facebook and come away feeling bad because I wasn't as cool, funny, creative, spiritual, talented ect. as some of my other friends on Facebook. Through personal interaction, I find I have more in common with and can relate to the women I hang out with in person rather than trying to compete with the best sides of people that show up on Facebook.
Like I said, this has been a really positive choice for me, and I am really happy with how things are going. Just thought I'd give you a little update.