30 August 2012

Balancing Act

Today marks the second week of my grad school experience...and I already feel like quitting. It was a rough day today. Miranda cried a lot...I cried a lot and wondered why I was putting myself through this. I'm going to school because I want to teach college English. I knew school was going to be hard, but I don't think I realized what I was getting myself into. I try to be positive about the workload (I'm currently taking eight credits and thinking about dropping a class), but sometimes... OK, all the time, it is just downright stressful. My life seems to be revolved around doing homework. I really need a break.

Actually, what I really need is balance.

In my Shakespeare class we are reading The Comedy of Errors. On the outside, the play seems like slapstick comedy with mix ups between two sets of twins. But underneath all the comedy, there is a running theme of finding one's identity. Reading this has made me think about my own identity as Sarah Baird. If someone were to take away everything I have--my family, my house, my school, my church...would I still be Sarah Baird? Would I be someone else? This answer could be different for everyone, but I believe I would be someone else. I think our experiences and the people we have those experiences with make us who we are. 

So, what am I getting at? 

Lorin and I will be celebrating our two year anniversary tomorrow. Two wonderful years. So much has changed in this short period of time. I've changed so much in the past two years. Lorin and I have been changing a lot together (Miranda too!). Grad school is part of that change. This experience that Miranda, Lorin, and I are currently having is shaping who we are. Yes, life is crazy right now, but we are going learn how to balance everything, and we will do it together. 





2 comments:

  1. Ah, Sarah, you are AMAZING!! I am jealous you are in school. I hope your days become easier (probably would be a lot easier if you were around family, huh). Do what you need to do to survive. You can be a mom and an English teacher, and I think that is awesome!! Hard days are normal. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Tracie. I think I just needed this long weekend to pull things together. Thank goodness for holidays. They keep people from going crazy. :)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This