20 September 2012

A Little Taste of the South


Lorin and I are learning some Southern cooking here in North Carolina. Last Sunday I made some delicious Texas sheet cake and Lorin cooked us up some fried chicken. In fact, Lorin is mastering the technique of making fried chicken.  I have to say, he makes the best homemade fried chicken I’ve ever tasted. I’m sure many have shared my same fried chicken woes where you just can’t get the crispy outside like Chick-fil-A or KFC. In fact, I had given up on fried chicken, thinking that I was destined to make non-crispy chicken forever until Lorin did a little research.  

I also learned another cooking tip about biscuit making recently. When I usually cook biscuits, they always come out a little flat. My problem was that I was rolling out the dough with a rolling pin. One of my friends told me to just pat the dough down with my hands instead. I tried her advice and the biscuits came out so fluffy! I was really excited.



So, that has been our Southern cooking adventures. Now, here are some thoughts on grad school:

These past two weeks have been a blur. Life is so busy and crazy, but here are a few people/things that have kept me going:

  • My husband: No matter how stressed I am, he always finds a way to make me feel better.
  • Miranda: She has no idea what a difference a little smile or laugh can do for her mom.
  • Both of our parents: They are great at listening and giving good advice. 
  • The cockroach that flew at me out of a kitchen drawer two days ago: Yes, I saw my life flash before my eyes and I almost cried, but hearing myself squeal like a pig in distress was priceless. Lorin likes to reenact the high-pitched sound I made, "WEEEEE! WEEEEE! WEEEEE!"   
  • The psychology professor who always says hello to Miranda and I when we are sitting on our blue couch in the physics building. He told me about his mother who went back to school while raising him and his siblings. 
  • The students who open doors for me or help me up and down the stairs when I have the stroller. 
  • The smiles I get from people who see Miranda on campus. 
  • The encouraging professors who care about their students.
  • The other students who come up to me and tell me that they have a child too. 
I could go on and on. There are so many things to be grateful for. 




7 comments:

  1. Give me my baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look of the blog. And I'll definitely be using that biscuit tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your new blog look is GREAT! I love checking in to see what amazing things you are up to:) Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenni! Love you too! I'm going to have to call soon and catch up with you. It looks like you guys have been having a lot of fun. I want to know how the KISS concert went. You got some awesome pictures.

      Delete
  4. I love you guys :) hahahahaha loved the video! Miranda is looking so grown up! And grabbing things!!! I wish we could be there with you guys. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm jealous. I definitely have not mastered the art of making fried chicken. If you want to have a delicious non-homemade fried chicken experience, you need to go to Bojangles. Don't know if anyone's told you about it yet or not. It's a true southern gem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We LOVE Bojangles! It takes a lot of will power to not spend 20 bucks there every week. I think Bojangles was partly an inspiration for this whole homemade fried chicken goodness too.

      Delete

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This