07 December 2012

The Struggles and Triumphs of a Semester

Go Wolfpack!
I had my last day of class about a week ago. My final was this afternoon and I was really nervous, but everything turned out great. It is weird that I have done many presentations before in my undergrad and taught English for a year at BYU-Idaho, but I am still not comfortable AT ALL with talking in front of my class at grad school. It is just so intimidating sometimes. But, like I said, everything turned out just fine. For the final, we had to analyze a composition textbook according to the different theories we learned about this semester. My final was presenting my analysis to the class. I practiced my presentation three times on Lorin and once on Miranda. They were very helpful! All the practice definitely paid off.

So, after completing a semester of graduate school, here are some of my struggles and triumphs:

I guess I will start with the struggles first.
  • Inadequacy. I always compared myself to my classmates, which resulted to feelings of inadequacy. A lot of times, I felt like I didn't know what the heck I was doing. The truth is, everyone feels that way. 
  • Money. Grad school is expensive and Lorin and I will be paying off my student loan for a while. I am deferring until next fall so I can get in-state tuition. 
  • Homework. Doing homework is next to impossible while the baby is awake. This is why I did most of my writing and reading while the baby was sleeping. 
Now, for the triumphs of the semester.
  • Finishing. First off, finishing a class while having a child is a triumph to me. I have a lot of respect for mothers who complete their schooling while taking care of a family. It takes a lot of dedication, hard work, and  skillful time management. 
  •  Knowledge. I have learned so much this semester in the field I am studying. I was telling Lorin today that if I could go back to BYU-Idaho and teach again, I would do things a lot differently. I feel that the information I learned this semester improved my approach to teaching composition. 
  • Understanding. Being at grad school this semester helped me understand the pressures that Lorin faces with being the breadwinner for our family. This was an eye-opening experience for me. He has a lot on his plate with being a husband, a dad, a student, and the source of our main income. I've always known that I need to love and support my husband, but now I have a greater understanding of why I need to do that. I really appreciate what he does. 
Now that this semester is over, and since I will be deferring until fall, I am going to start a new chapter in my life with being a stay-at-home mom. I still have small tutoring job, but most of my time will be spent with my little girl. I'm a little nervous about this, but looking forward to learning and growing in a new setting. 

4 comments:

  1. Whoo! Way to go Sarah for completing those classes! It was so cool to read about your struggles and triumphs and especially better understanding Lorin's pressures to be a bread winner. I am also so grateful for Kevin's hard work to be a substantial supporter in our family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on finishing your semester-- that is a HUGE accomplishment!! I hope you have fun staying at home more. Enjoy your extra time!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah for finishing. Yeah for being a full time mom/wife! You will find lots to do, many people to influence, things to learn, challenges to be met, and a fullness of life everywhere! Homemaker is a challenge as well. Yeah for moving forward.. every day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on finishing the semester! That is a huge accomplishment especially with a baby.

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This