26 January 2013

Let There Be Light!

Living in an apartment for about a third of my life has seriously cramped my home decorating creativity. No painting, no putting more than X number of holes in the walls for pictures, and no motivation on my part to make the apartment feel like our own when our time living there is so short.

Now that we have our own home, I almost don't know what to do with myself. Lately, you will find me pouring over Better Homes and Gardens magazines, reading DIY decorating blogs, and checking out interior design books from the NCSU library. I think the most helpful book I have read so far is Notes on Interior Design. The book is nothing fancy to look at and is only 46 pages long, but it is very easy to read and has helpful illustrations. It is basically a beginner's guide to learning about interior design. From someone coming with no background in this area, I found it very helpful and would recommend it to anyone who wants an intro into this field.

So, between magazines, blogs, and books, I think I am finally starting to discover my style. I've discovered I like natural sunlight in the house and I like the color white...a lot. I want everything white--the curtains, the picture frames, the tables, everything. This past week, Lorin and I found some white curtains on sale, and we put them up in our living room windows.


White lets the light shine through the windows. Everything looks clean and fresh and our heating bill goes down a bit, thanks to the natural sunlight. In addition to the curtains, we got a can of white spray paint, and I gave some of our brown picture frames a new look.

The dark frame in the picture is the gift I made for Lorin when we got married. I printed out small black and white photos at Walmart and used double-sided tape to make a collage on the matting that came with the picture frame. I love being able to look at the pictures and remember the fun memories we had while we were dating. I was so excited to finally put up this picture in our new house.

Well, those are some of our most recent improvements to the house. I'm looking forward to starting a new project!

4 comments:

  1. I love those big windows in that room! It's looking great Sarah :) You are such a wonderful mom and home-maker. We miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah is the best decorator in the whole world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! White is such a great color! Good to hear that you are enjoying decorating your home! Kevin and i can't wait to get there one of these days!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's a link to a post from a blog I love- it's about decoration and it has some cool tips- I thought of you when I read it. She also always has really cool photographs of her kids on her blog that might be inspiring if you ever get time to look at it. I like it anyways...
    http://www.kellehampton.com/2013/02/photo-collages-choosing-photos.html

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This