28 February 2013

Using Old Jeans to Decorate: A Little Ghetto, but Made with Love

I've had two pairs of Lorin's old jeans sitting in my material drawer for a couple months now. I didn't want to give them up because I was sure I could do something creative with them. I finally decided that I wanted to make a hanging banner sign for Miranda's room.

This is what I did:

1. First I traced out the letters with chalk onto the jeans. I was too lazy to find a print out of the letters online, so I just freestyled it. I lined up the tops of the letters with the jeans' gold stitching, and then I started cutting (notice my high-tech cutting table).

2. Despite my best efforts, some of the letters were a little wonky, so I used a rotary cutter and ruler to even things out.

3. Since I already had the gold stitching at the top of the letters, I decided to make things a little fancier and add a pink decorative stitch at the bottom of all the letters. 

4. I used some scrap fabric to add some cute hearts to the letters. I sewed a pink decorative stitch around the hearts' perimeters. This one turned out fine but...
this one was pretty much a fail.

5. To cover up my crappy sewing job (at least a part of it), I added a heart button to each of the fabric hearts. At this point, I really didn't feel like picking out all the stitches and making a new heart, so this was a good fix.

All finished! Now, all I need to do is hang it up in Miranda's room (By the way, Miranda's nickname is Beat Beat, aka The Beat).

6. I used twine and clear push pins to hang up the banner on the wall. I just sewed the twine to the top backside hem of the letters. 

And there it is! A little ghetto, but let's be honest, it was made with a lot of love.

Will you share this post? Better yet, will you follow along and join this site? Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This