24 April 2013

Someone is Wrong on the Internet!

Today as I was scrolling down my Facebook feed, I came across across a link titled "Idaho Barbies! Hilarious!" Lorin and I just moved from Idaho, and I like a good laugh just as much as the next person, so I clicked on the link to see what was so funny.

You might have seen something similar to this before—fake Barbie ads that make fun of people from certain cities. I saw one once that made fun of my hometown of Bakersfield, California and surrounding areas. I laughed about it and thought is was clever.

However, this time, when reading these "Idaho Barbie" ads, I became angry.

This is why:
Via
This generalized depiction of stay-at-home moms (SAHM) made me furious. Especially the part that says, "She gets lost easily and has no full-time occupation," which implies that SAHMs are both uneducated and do not have a "real" job.

Slams on motherhood like this fake Barbie ad come from people who really have no clue about the hard work that goes into being a SAHM or a mother in general.

When I decided to leave grad school to be at home with Miranda, it was a hard decision for me. I was so worried about what others would think of me if I chose to be a SAHM. I was afraid of reading or hearing things similar to this ad. But you know what? I'm not afraid anymore. I take pride in what I do as a SAHM, and I know what I am doing with Miranda is important.

When Lorin came home from school today, I told him about what I saw and went on and on about how ignorant some people can be.

Then, he reminded me of a funny comic he showed me a long time ago:
Via
So, here I am writing a blog post about someone who is wrong on the internet.
Will you share this post? Better yet, will you follow along?
Follow on Bloglovin

5 comments:

  1. I'm sorry Sarah! That ad made me laugh! And the other ads were even funnier, in my opinion. But then again, I am not from Idaho nor have I ever visited the place. I would love to see a NC version. I'm not quite sure why I laughed at this ad. So ridiculous? So far from the truth?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I just need a better sense of humor for things like this. I am positive the author's intentions were not to make people mad--obviously it was to make people laugh. I'm just really sensitive with subjects revolving around SAHMs (if you can't already tell, haha!). I'm sure a NC would be very entertaining. I thought the one for my home town in Bakersfield was hilarious.

      Delete
  2. I feel the same way you do. At first, I was actually really embarrassed to tell people that I was a SAHM, but now I realize how awesome it is! We have the best/hardest job for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this, but it's sad that people think it's funny. There is nothing wrong being a SAHM....the most important job ever is to raise our children in a loving home and to mold them into wonderful human beings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so.. is there a feminist barbie? what is hers like?

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This