17 May 2013

Old Dress Shirt Wreath

 This is called, "What crap can I find around the house and make it into something cool."

Thus, the old dress shirt wreath was born.

Originally, I was going to make a cute yarn wreath, but I'm a cheapskate and didn't want to spend money on the supplies. However, I still wanted something cute for our front door. So, I dug through the clothing we had bagged up to go to the thrift store.

After some wrapping, sewing, and gluing, this is how it turned out:


This is how you make the wreath:

1. Cut an old dress shirt into strips and sew them together. 

You do not need to cut them precisely AT ALL. I mean, look at some of the scraggly strips I made.


2. Get a picture frame mat (or use an actual picture frame if you want to get all fancy) and wrap the long fabric strip around it. 

Now that I think about it, if you don't have a picture frame mat around, you could probably just cut a cool wreath shape out of cardboard. 


3. Make some cute fabric flowers.


4. Use a glue gun to glue a button in the center of each flower.


5. Use the glue gun to make any finishing touches on the wreath (like fixing stubborn material that won't stay in place).

That's it! Pretty easy, right? Now go! Rummage through your house and find items you are thinking about throwing out and make something cool out of them! 

Will you share this post? Better yet, Will you follow along? 
Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Super cute! The best crafts are ones that you hardly spend any money on, in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Heather. I agree! I hate spending money on crafts. I've even been tempted to chop some wood off of our creepy shed and make something cool.

      Delete
  2. I think this is so pretty! And I'm all about reusing AND saving money! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Erin! It is a great feeling to know that I got rid of two junk items (frame matting and shirt) and made one cool item that I will actually use.

      Delete
  3. Great tutorial Sarah. I love ideas for reusing things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you serious? You made that from "crap lying around your house"? I am completely in awe of you! Really, I am beyond craft-challenged. It's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rachel, you have no idea how craft challenged I am too! Sewing/crafts have been really trial and error for me (more reason for me not to spend money on crafts because 50% of the time, they don't turn out very cute). In fact, a couple weeks ago, I tried taking a big, old t-shirt and sewing it so it fit me and looked cute. Yeah...not so much. It was super tight and I couldn't even fit it over my upper half, haha! Anyway, This wreath is one of the lucky few that turned out nice, and I am so glad that you like it.

      Delete
  5. Very nice Sarah! great idea..... :)

    ReplyDelete

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This