07 November 2013

Why My Husband Took Away My Facebook Password

Social media can be a blessing and a curse.

A couple of months ago, if you would have taken a look at my internet history, you would have seen that I checked up on my Facebook at least 10 times a day. You know, I just wanted to see what was going on. I wanted to talk with friends—socialize.

I don't know what it is about Facebook, or why I felt a need to check it so frequently, but it was beginning to be a problem and a waste of timemaybe even bordering on addiction. Things kind of felt like this:

I hated that pulling feeling that made me want to take out my laptop to check if a friend answered my message or to see what so and so said about the picture I posted.

I reasoned with myself, saying Facebook was pretty much the only way to keep in contact with old friends, or the only way to get social interaction during the week (since I'm a stay-at-home mom).

The odd thing was that I didn't feel any closer to friends or family by going on Facebook a million times during the day. In the end, I just wasted time scrolling down my Facebook feed and felt disappointed when I saw that nothing had changed since I last checked my Facebook 30 minutes before.

So, that is when I told Lorin to change my password and keep it from me.

This has been a GREAT change. I still go on Facebook and keep up with friends, but I have Lorin type in the password. I am amazed at how much my Facebook time has decreased since holding myself accountable for the time I spend online. I find that if I don't have a good reason to go on Facebook, I just don't go on. I find other things to do. When I want to socialize, I find myself interacting with people in person or by telephone more often.  

For the record, I think Facebook is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends; however, Facebook can never replace having a fun ladies night at a friend's house or hearing the voice of a brother, sister, or parent over the phone.

What are your thoughts about Facebook? Have you ever had to limit your Facebook time?
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This