23 March 2015

Banned TV Shows

Back when I was a youngin', I remember there were certain TV shows I was allowed to watch and certain shows that were forbidden. My TV memories from childhood are full of Strawberry Shortcake, Captain Planet, and Inspector Gadget, and I knew that as soon Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or Attack of the Killer Tomatoes came on, I had to turn off the TV. Those shows were banned at my house. I guess my parents didn't want me learning ninja skills and using them on my kindergarten friends. I"m not sure why I wasn't allowed to watch Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, but I guess the title says it all. I still haven't watched that show.

Now that I am a parent, I totally get why my parents banned certain cartoons. Even though some of my friends were allowed to watched the shows I was banned from, my parents had to make decisions based on how I might react to the shows.

Right now, the TV show that is banned at our house is Daniel Tiger. Miranda used to watch it ALL the time...until she was introduced to being afraid of the dark on one of the Daniel Tiger episodes. Yeah, we had some sleepless nights thanks to that tiger. Then, whenever the little animals on the show exhibited bad behavior, Miranda always picked up the bad behavior and started doing or saying naughty things that I remember seeing on the show (even though that was the exact opposite of what the show was trying to teach). Amazingly, when we stopped watching Daniel Tiger, Miranda got over being afraid of the dark and her behavior improved.

As a parent, it is important to see how my child reacts to certain TV shows, even if the show is seemingly good. Sometimes, I'll turn on a show for Miranda while I'm getting things done around the house, and I don't pay attention to what she is learning. I'm not planning on sitting down with her and watching all of her shows with her (because that would defeat the purpose of me turning on the show in the first place. I have stuff to do!), but I am going to try harder to listen in on what her shows are teaching her.

What TV shows did you watch when you were a kid? Do you have TV shows that your kids are banned from watching?

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This