19 March 2015

Moms Who Want to Work From Home

When I decided to stay home with Miranda, I knew that finances were going to be tight (hey, but not as tight as being in grad school). After about two months of staying at home, I thought I might be able to find a small job to help out with finances and to give me a creative outlet. I searched through tons of job listings and spent lots of time tailoring resumes to fit job descriptions.

No luck.

However, now  I work from home as a contract grant writer for nonprofit organizations. This is a job that I do from home.

Right now the work load is just right, but at times, balancing work and family life can be difficult. Because I made the decision to stay at home with my daughter, she always takes priority over work during the day; however, during really busy times I will have to turn on a movie for her while I finish up some work. I make my own hours with my jobs, so I just make sure I get work in while she is taking naps during the day and when she goes to sleep at night.

Here is my advice to moms who are looking to work from home:

1. Network. I did my fair share of sending in applications, but that was 100% unsuccessful for me. Each of my jobs came from connections I made through people I know.
2. Don't be afraid to volunteer your time. When I started out in grant writing, I had very little experience. I had to prove myself and gain experience before I got paid. This is completely fine! Obviously, you don't want to do this for a long time, but sometimes you need to put in some extra work before things pay off.
3. Be open to new possibilities. I have a degree in English-professional writing. When I graduated college, I imagined myself working as a technical writer for a big company. I never thought I would be working from home and writing grant proposals. If I was adamant that I was going to be a technical writer for a medical or computer software company and didn't look into any other possibilities, I'd be stuck with no job.

This has been my experience finding a work-from-home job, and I hope you found this post helpful. If you have more questions about my experience with working from home or want some advice, please feel free to leave your questions in the comments below or email me.

Do any of you work from home? What was your experience with finding a job?

Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

What are your thoughts, my friends?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Share This